Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring Has Sprung!

Ah, springtime! Isn't it lovely? Especially here in the South, where it comes a little earlier than most places. Azaleas are in full bloom, daffodils have come and gone, tulip magnolias have bloomed and been battered by the rain, dogwoods turn their creamy faces towards the sun...what more could you ask for? Today is splendidly crisp, with nary a hint of rain. The sky above radiates a cloudless, azure glory for all to behold. I love spring!
With the return of spring comes my knitting mojo...where have you been, my friend? During the dark, gelid months of winter, I tend to hibernate. I go to bed early (7:30 or 8:30), bring Wally in to snooze in his crate, and it feels like all the daylight hours are spent at the day job. Even though I love my job, still...it doesn't hold a candle to knitting, walking Wally, or reading a good book. Except maybe in the paycheck department! Now, with what seems like exponentially more daylight hours, warmer temperatures, and a lighter heart, my love for knitting has been rejuvenated!

As per usual, I have numerous UFOs and this nags at me. I can't stand things to be unfinished. It's either time to fling them into the frog pond or get them finished posthaste. Some of these WIPs have been sitting around for a year or more! Yikes! In order of age, here they go:

1. Horcrux Socks: I don't see myself becoming a prolific sock knitter, because knitting one thing, then knitting it again...not for me. I get bored too easily and my attention span flits from one lovely project to the next. Still, I am already nearing the heel and the foot of the second sock. I just need to crank it out!!

2. Wild Stripes Baby Blanket: I think the endless stockinette stitch has gotten to me. Although changing colors so often does help. I have recently picked this back up and added several more rows. Now I just have to keep on keeping on.

3. Mosey: I am on the cable section of the second legwarmer. The cables make these a little slow going for me and there's a lot of counting. Plus, I think I'd like them more and want them done faster if I had chosen a different color. Maybe an oatmeal or a heather gray. Winter white isn't really doing it for me. Still, these aren't too far from being finished.

4. Dream Swatch Head Wrap: I started this in a fit of pique one day, bound and determined to find a use for some bamboo yarn I purchased at SAFF. It had been sitting around in my yarn wardrobe for so long and I just longed to use it up. I think I'm about eight rows into it and that's as far as I've gotten. It's not complicated, I just have to find the time.
5. Circles Scarf: I was making this for my mama for Christmas. Obviously I did not make that deadline. While her birthday is coming up next month, I don't see myself making that either. If I crank it out, MAYBE. But we'll see. I was really intimidated by this scarf at first because I kind of stink at starting things out on dpns. I had a little bit of a ladder problem between the needles, but once I got past about an inch and a half, I figured it out. It looks a tad wonky at the bottom, but only I will ever notice. I guess practice makes perfect. This is what I am working on at the present moment, mostly because I felt guilty about missing her Christmas deadline. Cross your fingers that I can get it done by May 18!

So in light of these terribly unfinished objects, I have vowed not to start anything new until they're done. Yikes! So hard, especially when there are so many great projects and yarns calling my name! However, since I just booked my trip to Paris (big news, so exciting, yay!!!!) for June, I've gone on a spending freeze. Nothing non-essential AT ALL, except birthday gifts. So that should help with the non-buying of new yarn, needles, or patterns. We are spending a week in Paris and I want to be able to shop a little and travel around without feeling guilty about my spending. I've never been and I can't wait!! Any suggestions on must-visit sites from those of you who've been there?

P.S...Before the non-spending freeze kicked in, I purchased all the supplies for Owls! I am so excited about knitting this sweater! I have several sweaters' worth of yarn and all the intentions in the world to knit them, but I've been hesitant. What if I can't do it, what if it doesn't fit right? But you know what? Who cares? I can always frog it if I hate it and start over. So first sweater, here I come!

Have a fantastic Thursday! Wally says "Don't forget to get your walking in today and enjoy this beautiful weather!"


(Can you tell how much rain we've had? Wally's igloo is uber muddy!!)

No comments: